Friday, June 5, 2009

The Red Dirt



I decided to head back to the Island last minute. I booked the ticket at midnight, and was on the plane 14 hours later to head East. There were many reason to come back to the Red Dirt, mainly that there might be some happenings in the works for me, and I would need to do some specific training....which was hard to do in the city of Montreal.

Whatever the next few weeks hold for me, I would have come back anyway for a few weeks, so I decided not to waste any time. I was spending too much money in the big city too.

Its nice to sleep in your own bed for a change too.

Life has been good the past few days. I've been making a point of not saying I'll be anywhere, and letting the day play out as it will. The weather has been great and I had a killer 4 hour hard ride yesterday over the hills of Kinkora.

Coach Luc perscribed some 1 minute/power intervals a few days ago. I thought to myself I could probably do them on the singlespeed. Seeing as how I haven't had a single speed ride(and only 2 MTB rides) this year, I thought it would be good to get on the old girl. When all of the complications of gadgets are taken away sometimes it gives you the opportunity to simply pedal.



(WT(Dad) let me borrow the truck for a couple days. The thing is the sickest ride around, and because its diesel will drive from one coast of Canada and back on a tank of gas)

The Surly Single Speed is by far my favorite bike of all time. If I had any bike for the rest of my life it would be a rigid Surly. No Question.


Before the ride I hopped out of the truck and quickly learned I had forgotten my insoles for my MTB shoes(I have 1 set of orthopedics). This really sucks as the trail is like half hour away from home, and MTB shoes have 2 bolts to hold the cleat into the shoe. Without insoles the bolts quickly make your feel hurt from having 2 bolt screws driving into your feet.

No MATTER! The day was beautiful, I was out on the trail, I was rocking the MTB....it was a good day!

I rode half the trail before coming out to one of my favorite traditional hill climbs to do the 1 minute intervals on. I got a couple in before BAM........folded a chain ring. This seems to happen to me every now and then. I think I need to run downhill specific chainrings from now on.


At least the power seems to be coming back.

So I was walking.....Luckily Luke(who lives 8 minutes away) picked me up and took me back to the truck.
(ahhh well, cant beat the view)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sweet chain ring. You should build a mobile. Sounds like you're gettin' along