Sunday, April 13, 2008

Le Roubaix

I woke up this morning in a sleepy haze, wondering why the hell Sara(Scott's wife) was taking a shower so early. Then, I realized it was pissing rain outside, which wasn't fore casted. Seeing as how today was the day for Harris Roubaix, I felt my heart beat a little bit faster.

The Cad 3/4's had it the worst. Not only did they start early in the AM, but they had rain for most of the race. By the time the 1,2's hit the course, it was pretty rutted, but for the most part it was sunny and warm hovering around 10degrees. I saw a framilier face in Zack Garland fresh off the plane from Halifax(originally from Newf). It was good to hear stories drunken womanizing maritime style.

The race went fine. I tried hard as hell to make/get in a break away, and after the race I counted 3 breaks I was in. None lasted more than 5-10 minutes, and varied from 3-4 guys to 6-7 guys. I really thought the bigger one would stick as it was in the last 30 km, and there were guys from pretty much every team in it. Last years Roubaix was won in a break as well, but Mr Sven Tuft was absent this year.

So it came to a sprint which I was at the back for. I think I finished same time as the main field. There was a ton of people there today, so I'm hoping a ton of pictures will show up over the next little bit. Oddly enough the race only ended up being 92km(including warm up). I thought it was at least 100km, in which case I would have got my ass up to the front to get a higher placing. Oh well. Elevation gain was only 100m, which is about the same as a crappy mini-golf course. But then again, the gravel was pretty knarly. Average speed was still a decent 42km/h.

I met the final members of the team today. They are trickling in from all over, and it was good to see some friendlies. This weekend marked my 10th race so far this year, and I'm looking foreward to the training camp with the team next weekend in prep for the "Race to the Ridge." 150km days, with 20km+ climbs. Yee haw.

(Post race meal, $2.99 Perogies and free after-party wine!)

2 comments:

This is life said...

After not eating a 'real' meal in a few months, you have no idea how badly this makes me want a gigantic pile of perogies.

Unknown said...

I dont know if I would consider perogies a real meal.....unless you spend 5 hours making them from stratch one day, like Eric and I did....then not being able to tell the differance between the $2.99 special. -Ryan