Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Done Deal

In all of of my travels I've taken notice of some things here and there. One of the most important being that the price of a haircut is a direct sign of the cost of living in that area. In the good 'ol Maritimes I wouldn't expect to pay much more than $10 for a haircut. In crappy parts of Ontario, the going rate for a decent haircut is about $15, which still isn't bad.

Here in Vancouver where the average home price is about $800 000, I couldn't find a place to cut my hair for under $20, the average being about 5buck more than that. Yeesh. This isn't good for a poor amateur cyclist.

When looking for a down and dirty haircut in random parts of the world, I've noticed a couple things. One, if your looking for cheap, stay away from anything with french in the title. 'Madame Clinique's Salon' is going to be crazy expensive, so you might as well not even check the price. On the opposite end. 'Jimmy Joe's Family Barber and Home Brew' is going to get the job done.

Its a lot like buying a cup of coffee. If your in it for cheap, avoid Le France Cafe....and stick to Jumping Jack's Coffee Shop...or the Ultramar. Ultramar is about the least France you can get, and the coffee prices reflect that.

Everything has its place mind you. The $30 haircut is cool, but it looks the same in 2 days as if Scott cut my hair in exchange for doing his laundry. Same with coffee. You don't want to spend $6 on a cup of coffee on a road trip if you know your going to have 5 more in 6 hours. Its saves money for caffeine tablets as well.



It snowed again today. In the words of Andrew Brown..."Dude, Honestly." I did my intervals in the garage on rollers. What the hell, its May.

No comments: