Saturday, May 3, 2008

Grey skies are going to clear up

I'll be honest. Life has been very trying the past week or so. Nothing majorly bad has been happening, but just the little things that are compounding upon themselves. Its been raining consistently forever. I cant remember the last time I rode on a fully dry day. Despite the weatherman's predictions........It hasn't been 15 degrees and sunny in a long time.

Riding in the rain all the time takes it out of you. When you do commute to work and get wet, then ride home from work and get wet, then do 4 hours on the bike and get wet. It doesn't take long to get frustrated. A little voice gave me some advice. If you think positively, good things will happen. I'm giving it my best efforts.

When your life revolves around going fast on a bicycle, its a little disconcerning when you don't have good legs. I've been told energy spent is energy spent. Whether it be in the form of riding or mental strain, or a test....its all energy going out the door. I think having a cluttered mind the past few weeks has caught up with me, and my riding is suffering as a result. Maybe a day off will do me good.

The little things sometimes add up.

Anyway blah blah blah. Life can be much much worse. A bad day on the bike is 10 times better than wearing a suit with a 150km commute in a car, or not being able to afford rice....that's rough.

On the bright side I'm getting to know my team-mates better. I haven't met one yet who I didn't like. Its a pretty interesting group of guys really. They all come from different backgrounds and all have a little tweaked personality. When you have people who grew up just riding bikes and thinking cycling all the time...its doesn't make for good conversation when you put in the miles together. Its refreshing to have these people from all over the place with all different histories and all different views. Solid Group What.


There is a new lady in my life as well. Gemma and I had our first solid day together today, and she's a pretty good gal....Older woman too, being a 1983 Suzuki Gemma.

The team needed a scooter to motor pace with, and Scott needed a way to get to work other than riding in the rain all the time. Hence Gemma. I decided to get in on the deal and bought a whole 1/10th of the old girl. She can hit up to 50km's/hour(75 if your aero behind a car) but the needle does go into the red around 30.


I went to the gas station to fill 'er up. In BC you have to pre-pay, and I didn't know how much to put in so I just said $3 to fill it up, thinking I would low-ball it. Old Gemma, well from the bottom of the tank it took $2.40 cents($1.30/liter) to fill it to the top of the cap. I rode on the rig all day, and the needle hasn't since moved from being max full, so at least that's looking up.

No comments: