Monday, March 16, 2009

Onward and Upward



I am now counting down the days before leaving Tucson on Wednesday. With the times spent here, some good some bad, I am now taking the time the enjoy the last couple days I have here. Although I don't see the sights, experience the nightlife, or learn the culture down here, this place I realized last night is almost a second home in a way.

The past few(5?) years have been constant travel for me, where the only place I've been more than once, (other than PEI) is here. I pretty much have the layout of city down pat in my head, and when thinking about a specific road or a specific place I find I can norrow down where it is, pretty easily in my head. Something I could only do with PEI before hand. While thinking about this, it gave me a weird feeling.

Training is progressing. Yesterday Josh and I headed up to the peak of MT Lemmon. Although both of us had a pretty terrible day on the bike in the 5 hour Shootout ride the day before, we pushed onward and upward to the peak. In a normal day, with this much fatigue, I wouldn't have climbed that much, but seeing as how we're only in town for another couple days, and I haven't been to the peak this year, it was a must do.

I find I only go all the way to the top once a year. Sure, I ride the hill to do intervals or whatever, but never really push the whole 26(ish) miles to the top. Usually its so cold and friggin windy that its more of a pain than anything. It is really beautiful up there though.





So on we pushed. The grades averag around 5-7% which is not mellow, but not killer either. Its just a good climb with a decent shoulder. The factor that makes it tougher is it last 26 miles.
Up and up it goes switch-backing over the crazy moon terrain. Slowly, as I mentioned before the scenery changes and you go from 25degrees at the bottom to snow on the top. You have to make sure to pack arm warmers, knee warmers a vest and gloves at least.




After about 2 hours(the Garmin died) of climbing we pulled into the ski resort at the top. Last year as a treat, I got the legendary pie at the cafe up there. $8 was a little steep for pie, so I decided to test out the massive cookies at the Cookie Cabin. Honestly, this makes the climb worth it. These cookies are pretty unbelievable. At first I was taken aback by the $5 price tag, but then I saw the size and tasted the deliciousness of the cookie let me tell you, it was well worth it.





If I had known the cookies were that good, I would have ridden up there more often.


After a coffee, a hot chocolate, a cookie...and another half cookie that I swindled, Josh and I made the decent back home. I stupidly forgot my gloves, but it has been warmer up there than years
past I think. Last year I nearly froze to death descending the mountain.

We cruised into town with a ride time of just over 5 hours. A great way to cap of riding week for me of just over 28-29 hours. I was happy to roll into the house, with a gut still full of cookie.



Afterword I said to hell with the diet and Josh and I went to La Salsa for some franchise Mexican food. The burrito, chips, and Taco were all delicious, but I can definitely notice it on the scale this morning.

As I wake up this morning with cup of coffee number 2 in my belly I'm off to clean the bike. After that I think a nap may be in order.

On Wednesday we say farewell to Tucson and head to California for the San Dimas stage race. No more fooling around as the real racing starts. Yikes!

No comments: