Sunday, May 24, 2009

I cant seem to find a USB cable, so there will Be no pics...

I've come and gone on old PEI. A little over a week has been good and bad to me. Of course it was great to see the boys, and Katie, but at the same time PEI was very stressful for me. For some reason I have this habit where I plan too much into my day and end up rushing everywhere. I never seem be able to get the important things done, and as a result my day is much more hectic than it should be. WT would say that there simply isn't enough hours in the day.

There was a lot I wanted to do on the Gentle Island, and I guess this made my life more hectic than it needed to be. Either way I still had a great time. I spent a couple cold nights at the cottage, and also had a bonfire with the boys. The times that I made a point of chilling out were definitely worth the trip that's for sure.

I also raced the Fredericton Road Race. The course was tougher than I remembered with quite a bit of climbing. Actually, about half of the race was climbing, which was more than these old legs were use to. Of course the weather was terrible as well. It was about as bad as it could be without snowing. It hovered around 10-15 degrees(50ish for you Yankees) and only stopped down pouring for the last half hour or so. It didn't matter what you wore as you would be wet and cold within 10 minutes.

I rode hard for the first 80km chasing breaks and trying to make the race hard. There are strong guys in the Maritimes and they definitely didn't make it easy. Justin went on a flier that I should have been in, and he rode strong for the whole race, but eventually was brought back on the last lap.

Well, after some hard chasing, and some surges from Brian my legs were pretty cooked. I started to hit the wall, and eventually rolled in for 5th. I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a better result, but in retrospect I did ok.

I was pretty hard on myself after the race. Its tough not having the power in the legs that your use to, but thinking about the race afterword, there was nothing bizarre about the result. After 80km of hard climbing and racing in terrible weather after not having any solid days on the bike for a month....man I realized I simply bonked. That's all there is to it.

Directly after the race I migrated to Moncton for a couple days training at coach Luc's place. I spun out the legs on Monday, but Tuesday we had a killer motor pacing session. I did the Fundy climb a number of times and of course the climb on "School Road" which is a steep mother. Anyone who lives in the Maritimes knows these climbs well.

During the Motor Pacing and climbing I felt terrible. At the same time Luc mentioned that my times up the climb and watts really werent as bad as they 'feel.' He said my numbers are still good and it gave me a little bit of a confidence boost.

With that I headed back to the Red Dirt to get my life together and prepare for the next migration.

I'm in Montreal now staying with my good friend/ex gf Jordan. We've known each other for a long time, and staying with her has been really great so far. I've been cruising around Montreal and exploring a bit on my rides and spending some time climbing MT Royal, which is no small hill. (Home of the legendary woman's world cup race)

I'm a firm believer that exploring a city by bike is the best way to truley experience it, and I can honestly say I love Montreal. Its such a cool hip city with so much history. Man, the food is killer too.

The past few days have been real mood boosters. A smile hasn't left my face since I got here, and taking the time to chill out is helping me out I think.

I raced a Crit today in the downtown, about and hour ride away, and it went pretty well. It was super fast, but I think it may have been the best Crit of my life! I felt really great and the legs had the power that I have been looking for for a long time. I netted a top 10, maybe a top 15, but it felt good to get the speed in my legs and fly around a course at about 60km/h.

I could even say it was fun......I didn't think that could happen in a crit before today. Hah

No comments: