Friday, May 15, 2009

The Lebowski


(Summer is comming)
I've been home for about a week, and things are starting to come together. When I decided to come home I was very torn between the idea of it. On one hand I wanted to relax, and see the boys and the family and develop a new mental base to springboard into the rest of the season on. At the same time I really didn't want to come home in a state where I feel I haven't achieved something. It almost felt like giving up, and returning home without some new notches in the belt.

After a week I know it was the right decision. I've been seeing doctors and getting more blood tests, and I think things are starting to level off. I can feel myself getting back into form. One blood test came back and it turns out I'm pretty close to being anemic. Basically my red blood cell count, hemoglobin count, and hematacrit were on the lowest of the low for a normal human. This proves to be a pretty big deal for a cyclist.

So that's something else I'm working on. On the other side of things though, riding has been great. I went for my first MTB ride of the year a few days ago and I felt great, and had a ton of fun. Riding with your doctor is also a bonus!

JF has been great for explaining what all the numbers mean with so many blood tests under my belt, and also has helped me get some odd tests that might explain some things. His advice and help has been invaluable. Before now Ive been driving myself crazy googling all these odd numbers, trying to figure out what they mean.

(The good Doctor)

This week has changed a lot. For the first time in a long time, right now I have a lot of optimism. Which sometimes is more powerful than any drug.


Eric and I did some Motor pacing today to try to kick start some speed into these old legs. It went really well, but my hips are killing me from not having a good stretch in awhile.

With that I've been pounding the liver into me to try to build up the blood values to normal range. The stuff looks terrible, smells terrible, and of course tastes terrible, but apparently it makes you fast on a bike? It remains to be seen.


At least it falls into the bike racers price range.

1 comment:

Heather said...

GLad you're feeling better