Friday, May 1, 2009

Rest?



I thought yesterday was Friday, so I acted accordingly. For me the difference between Friday and the rest of the week is that Friday is when Oakley releases all their new and cool glasses on the website. I was perplexed yesterday when there was no new glasses posted. Friday is also garbage day. I kicked myself for missing it yesterday, then realized I missed it again this morning(as its actually Friday) when I watched the garbage truck pass. (Sorry Norrene)

Its also May 1st as my new phone tells me. I've been using the Garmin as a clock the past few months, its not the best but it got the job done. At least with the phone I have an alarm now.

May is the month that I associate with mountain bike racing. When I was a kid sitting in school, May would always be the month that the trails cleared out of snow on old PEI and I can remember requesting the seat next to the window in JR High so I could smell that mud/spring/farmers fertilizer smell. To me that clicks the switch in my brain that the mountain bike season is here. Also, its when the Canada Cup MTB races start.

I was taken aback when I randomly checked the PEI forecast and found that it was 22 degrees. Holy Crap. At least the temperature went down again to 1, so I can feel good about myself.

Here in Oregon/Washington, it been a pretty steady 55(whatever that is in normal temperatures). Expect a sunny day until you ride, then expect rain. One of the nicest rides I did a couple days ago to test the legs was of course the Germantown climb. It was beauty until I got to the top where I promptly got pounded by a serious downpour of cold-ass rain, then the rain turned to hail for a few minutes. When I rounded the top and started the decent of course it became as dry as can be.


My main activities has been the following......
-Get up, eat Oatmeal
-Go on the Internet and drink coffee all morning
-Ride and/or go to doctors appointment
-come home make dinner/ drink tea/wonder what the hell is wrong with me then worry about it
-Read/go to bed.

That has been every day for the past 3 weeks. It sounds relaxing but its pretty much torture. When you life is built around racing a bike, and every day the legs are patchy and you spend all morning reading about your teammates racing against the best in the world........when YOUR spot is open on the team(they are racing with 8 guys.....with a max of 9 spots). It pretty much gives me panic attacks. hah

I did go out with Eric Tsai(Ping Pong as he is known) the other night. Hes our mechanic/great guy/great rider. I joined him and his Trivia team for a couple beers. They are called 'The Minorities" as everyone there was a minority....Ie Eric's Asian, the black guy, the SWF, and I was the white guy.....but I'm from Canada, so that's enough of a minority I guess.

I'm seeing lots of Portland, and it a pretty killer town I do say so myself. Its May 1st and I'm excited to try my hand at cross racing if I stick around this fall. I might just make this area a home base for awhile. There is that whole job/money problem though.

No comments: