Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rub it In

For years I used Bag Balm as my sole reliever of friction. I had tried many other Chamois Cremes, like Chamois Butter, Vaseline, Noxema(good for in a pinch), but Bag Balm seemed to be the most consistent.

It did have its drawbacks though. For one it completely ruins chamois. Over time they become a seeping mess of Bag Balm and leave it feeling like a used diaper. Along with this is also ruins any bike seat you may be using leaving it with a permanent shine that coats any surface it touches. Also, any car seat, deck, other persons bike is ruined as soon as you sit on it with a bag balm chamois. (There are wooden decks that still have a wet-ass stain on them from years before, after I sat on them with an older Bag Balm chamois.)

I lived with this predicament, rather having to deal with diaper ass/ruined seat than be in horrible pain from lack of a lube down there until I came across Assoss Chamois Creme!


UNREAL, is all I have to say. I've been using it all season and I will never go back to anything else. It leaves you with a minty tingling fresh feeling after application and it must be water based or something because it doesn't stain anything, and simply washes out. Unlike other cremes I find it is consistent throughout rides, especially longer ones.

Looking at my season old chamois, they look as though I don't use a lube on them. Its great!

It is a bit pricey though and hard to find compared to other chamois cremes. I see it the odd time at some bike shops, but it seems to be the industry's best kept secret. I think it runs for about $20 American, but I wouldn't mind paying that for a tub of it.

In all my travels I found the easiest way to get it was to ask the BMC/Assoss director for some. Once he gave me like 4 tubs of it....unreal.

It really is the best stuff going.

No comments: