Monday, January 22, 2007

Selfish-ness


(Getting some calories during the 12 hour)


I realized the other day while on a ride, just how selfish racing and training is. As an athlete we are constantly thinking about ourselves. Thinking what we can do to recover faster, sparing no expense to save seconds. All this in a quest to become stronger and more fit. We take enormous sacrifices, and expect our close ones to do the same along with us. I've often skipped out on family events or dinners to go for a ride or go to the gym. I just recently missed a coffee meeting with a friend because nice days this time of year a few and far between, so I went for a ride. That being an example when she said that she knew me too well to keep me inside.


I couldn't count the times my mother and father and girlfriends have spent all day in the feed zone for me, without question during a race. Another prime example was last year during the 12 hours of Cumberland, where my mom stood out in the 30degree temperature for about 15 hours feeding me the whole day, also while volunteering. During a 12 hour race you sometimes don't treat the person who has your back as best you can, and I realized that after. My communication with people during that race was pretty harsh, but when your racing, you sometimes don't think about that, or the effort someone is putting out for you.




(Death, after the 12 hour)

Last night I had a realization about selfishness in racing. I was going to dinner with my father and some other family members. One of them, who I don't know that well asked me if I was taking my bike to BC. A simple question, but in my mind I was thinking it was outrageous......of course I am, that's the ONLY reason I'm going. To ride my bike. I responded with a quiet "yeah, for sure" but in my mind it made me feel so alienated with everyone else, even though they are my family. Athletes sometimes appear to have a lot of ego, but I think a lot of it can be attributed to a misunderstanding between two people. One, the cyclist commits enormous amounts of time, and money and effort in to one thing. The other person interested, but un-aware asks some simple questions, which plays down everything the athlete has worked for and done. I guess its the ability to keep your triumphs close to your heart, and to authentically celebrate with the people who know you, and the hardships you face, that makes the differene between a true peoples champion(Rocky) and just another arrogant athlete.


(Enjoying a beer with my support crew, after a long day, and a hard fought win)

No comments: