Monday, February 9, 2009

Laundry Day

The past few days were the last of the long days for this build period . I was pretty happy with my form after the 170km ride, but it appeared I went a little bit too far into the power reserves.

After a coffee shop day on Friday, I mounted the steed again for 4 hours on Saturday, everything was going great until I hit the wall at about 2 hours. Not even a Dr. Pepper could bring these legs back. I attributed the 'body bonk' to going a bit too hard on Thursday, and not eating enough on Friday. As a cyclist your always walking the edge between loosing weight and simply not eating enough calories to fuel a 4-6hour ride.

So, I cut back the 4 hour ride, and headed home after 3 hours. When the body needs rest its hard to argue with it.

That night I had a beer, and bit more desert, and headed out Sunday morning for the big final 5 hours. Everything went fine. I did loose some power the last hour, but I attributed it to FREEZING cold that has hit Tucson, and the rain which has been flying periodically the past few days.

(ahhhh that sucks)

I was starting to hit the wall, but luckily in anticipation of a bonk I bought a package of 4 Mr.Christie cookies, which definitely got me home. Those things are pretty much rocket fuel. hah

Well, today is beer and pizza day combined with a coffee shop day. I'm about to roll into town and do some errands along with fill my body with caffeine. Ahhhh yes, the perfect way to start a rest week.

The big miles start again next week.

No comments: