Friday, February 27, 2009

The Progression



Popped the first saddle sore of the year the other day. Feels like I'm riding on a cloud now(or the Orbea Orca). Who knew jabbing your genitals with a needle could feel so satisfying.


Coach Luc is in the process of killing me slowly. I started the first real serious training of the year. Mixing in intervals, and longer rides along with some racing. Its all a mixed bag and its one of those things it will either kill me or make me stronger. Keep checking that resting HR.
Tuesday I hopped into some intervals which I did on some pretty nice rolling terrain. The legs were still stiff from the car, and I was still tired from the travel but it woke me up a bit. Wednesday was a great ride topping in at 5.5 hours. I've learned the hard way that the winds change like clockwork here in Tucson. For some reason I cant seem to learn from this as I usually have a killer headwind up the 45minute climb to start the ride, then another even worse headwind all the way home.

After some relaxing and putting the feet up I headed out for a great 6 hours the next day. First 6 hour ride of the year over some killer hills. Once again I hit the headwind up the Mission climb, and had it all the way home...this one was a bastard though. After 6 hours, 6 bottles, a muffin, 2bars, an apple and a can of POP I was pretty much swearing it this stupid headwind.

In that ride I threw in the Madera climb which I haven't done fully yet this year. All of the riding I've been doing has been on like 2-5% climbs, but Madera averages probably 6-9% then ramps up to a crazy 20%(according to the Garmin).

(Run to the Hills)
Going up it I was hurting like crazy as I haven't really don't anything that steep yet this year. Yikes!

Today was an easier day where I plotted along and saw Bill the foot doctor to pick up my new insoles. Of course I forgot the new Mavic Pedals with Dave in California, so it'll be awhile before I pop on my new shoes.

Tomorrow is my first race of the year. A Crit in Yuma Arizona(yes, same place as the movie) then followed by a 112Mile road race on Sunday. First time ever I will plop down that new pro licence. I'm scared shitless.

No comments: