Thursday, February 18, 2010

Patton


The days are passing and the weather is getting steadily better. I find myself stuck with a slight cold though, so I'm going to take the day off today. I need a haircut and to do some errands aswell.

Ive been having some serious bootie problems as of late. 4 pairs of booties( 2 winter, 2 summer) should be enough to sustain someone right? Well after 2 weeks I have broken 3 of the four winter booties I have. 2 zippers broke(one that was just repaired on PEI) and another the stitching ripped on the velcro. Holy Moly.

I have a very modest size 9.5 foot and am wearing large booties. They just dont make them like they use to I guess. Ive been wearing mis-matched pairs in order to keep the feel warm, but as mentioned, another one broke yesterday.

I went for my first solo ride of the year yesterday. It seems like no one rides alone here. There is always people going on group rides and they randomly show up at your house to go riding. Its nice but at the same time I like my solo rides. Going from riding in a group of 5-10 guys to solo where your open to the wind definitly shows that I still am weak as a kitten.

France is unbeliveable. Yesterday for my ride I went in a random direction out of town, taking random turns and manged to have a great ride. In this part of Normandy its insane hilly. I was either going up or down, similar to PEI, but the climbs are steeper and much longer. Its really unbelieveable riding. Beutiful views, great roads. If PEI is one of the best places to ride in North America, France is 10x that. Not to bad-mouth PEI or North America, but it really is unbelieveable.

I can see why cycling is so huge here. There are great programs to develope juniors, and also the roads are super quiet so parents wouldnt have to worry as much as in the rest of the world. Of the few cars you would see on a ride, they seem more respectful than say.......oh Tucson Arizona. On top of that most of the group rides even have a follow car. Wether it be a father of a young person or just a random guy who likes cycling, there is usually the club's van that follows any scheduled ride.

The team has a training camp this weekend, where we get our new kits and cool stuff. I dont really know what to expect. I dont even know what kind of rides we will be doing. That has been the trend of my time in France. Becuase of the language barrier i just go into situation not knowing what to expect.


Luckily there are some good people taking care of me.

No comments: