Saturday, July 19, 2008

Have a Drink on Me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sillygwailo/2679348818/

I'm not having as great a Superweek as I had hoped. 34th overall in Delta is ok(of 100?), but nothing spectacular. A couple days ago was the Giro di Burnaby, which went fine. The wide swooping corners prevented any crashes all night and left the pack with an average speed of 47km/h. The Symmetrics team are having great races. I don't think they have lost a race all week.

Chris Horner is racing Superweek as well. Its pretty crazy racing against a guy who got 15th in the Tour de France Last year. Its a super Pro atmosphere here. There are thousands of spectators each race and they are all super stoked on this bike racing thing. its pretty crazy with people asking for autographs and stuff like that.

I had the White Rock hill climb last night, which was 750m of 16%-ish. I knew I could do well in the race as I'm climbing strong this year. You wouldn't think you would have to pace yourself for 2 minutes of climbing, but you have to. Being my first time racing it and not getting a chance to pre-ride the slope I charged hard out of the gate and promptly blew up half-way in. It was a pretty solid explosion as well. Needless to say I didn't finish very high up. The White Rock area is super nice though. We have another friggin' crit there tonight.

I'm kind of learning how I am as a rider. What I'm good at and what I am not so good at. I find I'm pretty strong in the TT's and longer road races with lots of climbing. With all these Crits(and all the super crazy Yankee crit riders), and no decent TT's, I'm finding it hard on the head. Its all part of getting in the groove I guess. Hopefully I can redeem myself in the White Rock road race. Its like 140km with crazy amounts of climbing of all sorts.

I booked the tickets to the Tour de Guadeloupe this morning. 26 hour flights are going to be a nightmare, but hopefully the team will come out of it still able to ride bikes. I heard Cam Evans is on the team as well(Former National Champ). I imagine I'll be his bitch throughout the race..

No comments: