Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Road Nationals



Well here it is folks, the Nationals write up. Mom, Shawna and Izaiah came up from the Red Dirt to keep me company and we stayed in a couple cabins outside of Quebec City. The change of scenery did my mind a lot of good I think. Hanging out at the lake combined with a couple campfires, some canoeing, with no Internet or TV has left me feeling pretty good.



The time trail was horrible. I went into it knowing I could get a really good result if I went into the pain cave. I had a great warm up, rode strong, and was headed for a great placing when I took a wrong turn on the course. I didn't know the loop very well, and there were arrows still painted on the road from the JR's TT the week before. The policeman who was marshaling that part of the course made some gestures to a car that was coming, and I thought he was motioning to me to go that way. Being in a TT your brain isn't working well and I took the turn. That's it. I should have known the course better, and all I can do is chalk it up to bad luck. It was the first time in years that I really wanted to cry. That's life I guess.





Needless to say I was pretty shaken up. I took the day between the TT and the road race to stay out of the sun and to stay off the feet. It was crazy hot all week hovering around 30degrees, which is good weather to eat Quebec Bagels.


The road race went better. It was going to be a killer day with the race being 180km long, and in the 30degree+ temps. The pack was one of the biggest I've ever ridden in with around 140 riders. The main kicker would be the 1.5 km climb on the loop which we did 18times for about 3000+ meters of climbing.


I asked Luc what the game plan was before the race, and if he had any tips with the course. His only response way....."Survive if you can"


Its hard for me to say how everything played out. Thoughout the race there were probably 3-4 different groups happening all at the same time. Right off the line a group of 20 guys got up the road and eventually got about an 8 minute gap. The group got bigger and smaller as riders popped on and off, and some bridged up but becuace the pack was so big I couldn't tell what was going on really.


Eventually guys just started to drop off. I noticed a couple groups up the road and bridged up on a couple occasions each time thinking I was at the front. Then I would would find after about 130km that I was actually in the chase group that was quickly dwindling down. At one point I looked back and saw a huge string of riders behind me in a turn. Then a couple laps later I took a look back and realized there was only about 30 guys left in the 'bigger' pack I was in.


Honestly I cant really say there was a defining moment of the race. I just stayed near the front of the pack I was in hoping the main group would come back. If an attack went I went with it but nothing got any good time up to the lead pack.


The key to the race I found was to stay near the front on the climb. I think that is where most guys pulled the plug. Because of the heat I was eating and drinking an insane amount. Most of the races in BC are 130km, so 180 in the heat was a bit of a jump. After the race I thought about all the food I ate during the race and ended up having 7 gels, 4 bars, 3 cans of Coke, and about 10 bottles of water. It was crazy.


So anyway. The race went on. I found myself with a bunch of French guys including Dom Rollin, a few Team RACE guys and a couple other odds and ends. I felt strong toward the end and I could feel the tension in the pack as we started the last 10km loop before the 1.5km climb to the finish line. Myself and the other guys were still gunning for a high Espoir placing so as we started the climb I made sure I was in the top 5. The team RACE guys gunned it leading out for Mark Batty and I stayed close behind. In the last 200m I attacked and got a good gap. Another French guy who rides for the EVA-Devinci team bridged up to me and we grinded to the line. He ended up taking me by a second, but that was it for the 'field sprint'.


The race took it toll on the riders. Of 140 starters only 35 finished coming in just under 5 hours. I managed to get 8th in Espoir, and 22nd overall. The rest of those pesky Espoirs were in the front pack.



So it was ok. I was hoping for a top 5 in U23, but I just couldn't manage to get up to the main break. I learned a lot about Quebec racing though. It so much more aggressive than BC racing and much faster. Thinking about the weekend it was good. I felt strong even up to the 170km mark and 22nd in Canada ain't bad for first real Road Nationals experience.



After the race it was super refreshing not to think about bike racing for awile. I now feel that the season is on the downside with only a a couple major races to go.









(time for somma this.....)

(and somma this....)

Right now I have 5 hours to kill in the Quebec airport before flying to BC for Superweek, then heading back to PEI on the 22nd for some singlespeed riding and dancing....Hell Yeah.