Monday, July 28, 2008

PEI

Sorry for the lack of posts. I'm a busy man here on PEI. I find most of my time is allotted into 2 hour increments. 2 hours here, then move on to do something else for another 2 hours attempting to see everyone and to to everything PEI has to offer in a week. Getting everything done is tough as I'm still on BC time and I cant seem to get up before noon and I lie in bed rolling around until 4 am. Pain in the ass.

These short 5 days that I've been on PEI have made my summer. The weather has been unbelievably great and the people I've been hanging out with have lightened my mood from an horribly postured consistently grumpy road cyclist, into a happy sunburned islander once again.



The beauty about coming to PEI for a week is that you get all the feelings of being in the party for a week, minus the hangover that takes over once you realize there is nothing to do after you've been there for more than a week. Its great.

(Eric..my long lost SS buddy, drinking buddy, and general best guy I know)

(..and his wagon of death)


Riding has been great as well. I got out for the first single speed ride of the year, and it was pretty killer. Its crazy how my body has changed from years past. I cant power over everything as I once did, but now have to finesse and plan the climbs and trails as my body has shed 15lbs of bulk that came in handy during SS rides. I imagine that will change once I get back from Guadeloupe and there is a steady flow of beer in my veins.



The flights were decent coming back. I got a big surprise from the airline as they dinged me pretty hard coming back form BC. The past 3 flights to take a bike on a plane the price was $40..$40...free...then BAM this time it was $110! Holy Crap. You cant really do anything about it either...your not going to leave your stuff there. This hits hard when you live with only a couple hundred bucks in your bank account at a time. I didn't know if I could afford StarBucks by the end of it. Its like Gambleling



So yeah. Lots of fun has been happening. I had a pretty intense weekend of island riding and festivities. I wanted to see all the old loops I did as a youngin' on the roadie so packed in a pretty solid death march of a 5 hour 160km ride over the best roads PEI has to offer, then went home and had a nap. Once I woke I promptly went to the WINDOME EARLE show that night and danced until the wee hours of the morning. I haven't been able to see those guys since last year and they prove to consistently be the best dance show going. I got to see pretty much everyone of my old buds as well which was very refreshing.



The next day the legs were pretty cooked for another 4 hour ride. But I went out with a great group of guys and chatted in the sun and saw some more killer PEI Roads. Yee haw.

(Heat training for Guadeloupe. 30 degrees in winter arm warmers, base layers, and roadie caps. I could only do this for a couple rides before my kidneys started to hurt)


Now my mind has to shift as I fly out to Gualdeloupe in a day or so. My luggage is still strewn out all over the floor which means I have minimal packing. Hah.

No comments: