Thursday, July 17, 2008

Time on the Train


I am a victim of the cycling posture. I catch myself being constantly hunched and in a troll like state. My arms seem to dangle off my body as opposed to being structural. This is how it is.

Along with horribly weak back and chest muscles(you will beat me in an arm wrestle) My hips are constantly tight. Probably from a combination of bike time, racing injuries, computer time, and not a lot of walking. Either way, I have horrible posture.

I'm been seeing a chiropractor the past few weeks to try to get all the knots and kinks out of me. I find it helps, but holy shit it hurts. Last night while Wilbur was ripping the knots and tightness out of my hips, legs and back I grinned and tried to take it but I found myself instantly reflexing back and grabbing his arm. Holy Crap it hurts.

It was during this that I got to thinking how a cyclists life revolves around when your in the pain cave and when your not in the pain cave. While racing your in the pain cave. While getting a massage your in the pain cave. While crashing your in the pain cave. While training your in the pain cave.

I think the trick is being able to balance a life of relaxing and suffering. Maybe cyclists can appreciate a good relaxing coffee shop run more than most people. Its times like that to take it easy, knowing that later that day you will have to suffer.

You see former Cancer patients who have a new lease on life. They relax, they enjoy the small things. They savor life. This, I would imagine would be the ultimate pain/suffering experience. Not where its willing, but where you have to endure, simply to survive.



With so many people around me from the old school and the new school who live this cycling life, I hear a lot of conflicting reports. I know guys who were both in the action, and who weren't. Guys who know their shit and those who may not. Its seems I cant get a consistent reports on what its like over there in the Euro world. Some say its life, but OLN says its the minority. I guess I might have to take a look for myself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good post. spot on. everyone has a different experience in euroville it all depends on how realistic you are with yourself, your abilities and your surroundings. some hate it before they get there. some hate it after they get there. some don't even remember it even after being there. But most regardless of suffering love it. it's a short ride no matter how long it may seem at times. so soak it up while you can.