Tuesday, April 13, 2010

In the Mind


I had a decent race on the weekend. It wasnt a crazy high-end one, just a regional France race but it was the first time this year where I felt really great. Honestly, I felt like myself for the first time in a couple years. I didnt get any crazy results but I felt I had decent power and managed to get a top 20 or so.
I missed the winning break but toward the end of the race Zack put out an attack and only a couple of us went with him so we finished in the second group a few minutes back. The course was great being a true roulier course with a ton of wind thrown in.

Yesterday Ben, Zack, Franck and I went to the Normandy beaches to see where the European continent was taken back from the Germans during WW2. It was a team effort with Canadian, English, and American soldiers. Being a history buff it was bizzare to see the places that Ive watched in history documentaries over the years.
All of France gives you the feel that the war is still in recent memory. It wasnt long ago the WW2 happened here. 60-70 years is a blink of an eye in France when you consider a lot of the houses and buildings are over 200 years old.
The beaches and area itself is an interesting place. I got the impression that it was(and still is) a tourist destination as the beaches are similar in beauty to that of PEI or tropical locations. It was difficult to picture the sight of them with the water being red for many days after the landings.

No comments: