Thursday, February 15, 2007

Bonk 2


(Ahhhhh Cumberland, still in me heart)
I've managed to sneek in a couple rides in my old stomping grounds the past few days. Yesterday was more-so a couple hours of spin to get the blood flowing after a day of getting very messed up. Today I wanted to start putting in some solid miles. It was beautiful in the Valley, I could have easily worn just knee warmers instead of my full on winter tights.


This is my third year coming to the Valley, and every year the first ride I've done has always been one particular loop. Not for any real reason, its just how I've been starting off my seasons.
Today was no exception, I woke up with the intention of the 'ol 3 hour loop, but I was feeling confident so I threw in an extra 20 minute climb into the process, just to jeep it spicy.


The first few hours went well, I'm still having some troubles with my bike fit, but that should short itself out with some adjustments. The real problem happened within the last hour where I BONKED the hardest I ever have. Being this early in the season I forget I have to wait for my body to become efficient at processing carbs...so of course I didn't bring enough food.
Well, it was a hard day in the saddle to say the least, I was at the point where I pulled over to the side of the road and almost fell asleep with a heart rate of 110!


Anyway, I managed to make it home with some help of 2 stolen apples, which I'm not going to divulge where I acquired them from, but they did the trick...and then some! After 5 minutes I was feeling great and climbing more aggressively than when I started the ride!
After some peanut butter, a hot bath and a little rub down on the old legs, I'm feeling great. I'm sure I wont forget to bring a little extra food for tomorrows ride.

No comments: