Thursday, February 1, 2007

Off the beaten path




Our world today seems to get more complicated by the minute. Everything we own has a new feature, is faster, more sleek to the eye. Think about the last time you hooked up a new DVD player, or a new TV. I imagine it took a bit of time to simply figure out how to hook it up. Computers get faster and faster, and are constantly changing. This means of course, most things are outdated and most programs don't work with each other. This seems to be the trend with most things in our life now, automobiles, electronics, appliances, even our bikes.


Shimano just revamped most of they're component groupos, meaning.....its not compatible with anything else. SRAM is also changing everything they design so the new component you bough last year, is all ready old, and not compatible with the rest of the parts you've been riding. Everything is lighter, faster, smoother, and of course......less durable.


For these reasons, the humble Single Speed is making waves in the bicycle industry. Of all the forums on MTBR.com, the single speed forum, get the most visitors. A few years ago, no-one I knew had a single speed, and now....80% of my riding buddies, are riding them. Some rigid as well. This group isn't only from PEI, but California, and BC as well. When riding a SS, you don't have to worry about how to shift. How much more, or less air to put into your fork, how you could have saved time on that corner, or on that climb. On a single speed you are at the mercy of the bike.

I remember when I stared riding a geared mountain bike after riding my SS for awhile, I had to stop and get off my bike during a ride because a single blade of grass lodged itself in my cogs, and rendered them useless. Before, on a SS I would "find my own trail" by just powering through the woods, where there wasn't a trail. Over sticks and logs I would just bash my way though everything. I was exploring. And the SS, although beaten, loved it.

On a Single Speed, there are no variables other than your riding technique. When you don't have any control, its only then that you are free to simply ride. Simply to find flow with the trail.

1 comment:

Joe Joe said...

Good Luck in the Wild Wild West! They sure love their coffee out there! Ride hard!