Monday, March 19, 2007

Sea Level to Snowpack


I started out the day with the intention of doing a lot of climbing. The Comox Vally is pretty flat, unless you feel like going straight up.

I left the house at sea level and proceeded to push the new Opus up, and up, and up. After an hour and half of climbing, mostly on gravel access road, I went as far as I could pedal. Up to an abandoned ski resort, where the snow pack was too high to keep going. If the climb and I were to make love, the climb would be the man. I was worked. Whenever you think you have the eye of the tiger, you are reminded that you are still weak as a kitten.


The abandoned ski resort is call Forbidden Plateau, and was ironically the victim of too much snow which caused the lodge to collapse. Despite that, the mountain hides one of the best "locals only" trails in the area.

Unfortunately, when I rounded the corner of the climb to the entrance of the trail, there was just too much snow to make it in, even if the entrance was 15 ft lower in elevation, it would have been rideable. So back down I went
(remember all the winter storms we were told about...this is the result)

No comments: