Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dusk


The days continue. I'm starting to get use to this place a little bit more everyday. After three days of not sleeping and laying in bed all night, I finally had a decent sleep last night. Too bad I awoke to some rain this morning. Of all the time I've spent in Tucson, this is the second time I've seen it rain. The clouds seem to be parting though as I write this.

Yesterdays ride was a pretty good way to kick start the season. I went out with the intention of doing about 3 hours. Along the way I ran into Josh and we cruised for a good bit before parting ways. He was doing an assault on Mt Lemmon, which second day on the bike, I was having no part of.

I've been using googlemaps to map out my rides. I can usually get a decent judgement of how long it takes to rip a loop, and for the most part it shows all the decent side roads and connector roads as the main drags of Tucson really suck on a bike.

So it it turns out I horribly misjudged the loop I had planned and instead of doing 3ish hours, I ended up with a solid 4 hours, and just over 110km. That is usually a decent ride, but not for your second time on the bike.

At one point I was bonking about halfway through and I couldn't really figure out why. It was then that I looked at the ride plan on the Garmin and found I had been climbing gradually for over 25km in to a headwind. Ohhhhhh

So I said to myself...."Ryan, your half way through this ride in the middle of the dessert, and you might not make it home as your bonking....."

I decided to give in a get the first emergency Coke of the year. Second ride....pathetic.

After I managed to down the magic juice I had come around and had more energy than a 15 year old guy in a brothel. I managed to slide back home and killed some of Josh's Banana bread.
Don't get me wrong. Four hours was definitely more than I wanted to do yesterday. these types of rides aren't the things that make you fast second time on the bike. I dont think I went into the red, but it was definitely more than the body wanted to do. What can ya do when your out in the middle of the dessert though?

No comments: