Monday, April 30, 2007

The East Infection Spreads


After a few set backs last week, I managed to take my first win of the year at the Vancouver Island Cup #3 in Parksville. There was about 21 guys in the Expert/Elite who raced on a totally different course from the year before. I knew going into the race that I was lacking a little bit on the intensity, but I would be one of the best in the technical from riding in the rough and tough trails of the Comox Valley. It was in the woods I was hoping to make up the most time.

The course had about 25-30% of climbing of all different types. The problem was is that it was all back to back to back, so you couldn't get a break for the first part of each lap. Off the gun I stayed with the lead group of about 4 guys. Taking my own advice from the week before and trying to learn a lesson, I stayed in 4th, drafting as much as I could up the very long, double track climb. It then went into singletrack which was super dry and loose, and very steep. I had to sit and spin for most of the single track, and even then I was slipping on the loose trail.

Coming out of the singletrack, the course went up again. But super steep and loose again into a gravel access road. On the first lap I still stuck in 3rd and tried to spin. I wanted to see what the other guys in the pack would do. It was the type of climb where you had to find the sweet spot on your bike. You couldn't sit because it felt like you were falling backwards, and you couldn't stand because of slipping on the loose rock, so it was very slow and painful. On top of that it was super hot, the first time I wore just a jersey and shorts all year. You could definitely feel the heat on the exposed roads.

(Ripped the new shorts in the process)

From that part of the climb it went into more climbing into another single track. Part of what makes the Island Cups interesting is that often they lead the course through hike a bike sections. On this course there were a few sections where it was too steep and rocky to ride, it was where I made my move into first.

I tentatively road the rest of the lap in 1st, It was my first time riding the course and to my pleasure the rest of the course was mostly gnarly singletrack with little intense climbs in the soft loamy woods to get your heart rate up. The trail snaked through the woods, much like an intestine so I could see anyone who was near and sometimes on the first lap it was a little nerve racking. Another interesting part of the Island Cups is that you often ride over ladder bridges and through super nice flowy DH courses. Sometimes you really have to have your tech down not the take serious diggers. Toward the end of the race I found it hard to hold a solid line on the super tech parts of the trail as fatigue set in.

I kept at it, taking my own advice and going for consistency and managed to hold on for the win. It was a good confidence boost to lead from the start all the way to end, and this race was the first Island Cup XC I've won. So its good to get back home with a good racing feeling.


Andrew B had a self-described rough day, but managed to hold onto 10th. The East Infection is spreading!


Just as one race finishes, another starts. I just finished packing my bags and am ready to head to the airport. I fly all night and reach the Maritimes somewhere around 9am. Back to the old country.

(Thanks to Cory Jay for loaning me his double bike box for about the 9th time.)

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Congrats on the win! Very well deserved. Good luck on the other coast. Hope you come back at least to visit soon :) xoxo