Wednesday, February 27, 2008

pop pop



I went to my local pizza place the other night(which I had been twice since I got to Tucson). Wanted the usual, a piece of killer pizza and a beer. But something was different this time...they wouldnt serve me a beer!??? Apparently being 21 in Canada isnt the same as being 21 in the US. Even though I presented my Driver's Licence, Health Card AND Birth Certificate(all government issued IDs), no beer is being served to Canadians that night.


One of my goals for this year is to continue racing and riding throughout the year until the cross season. I've always had a hinckeing to do cross, but in previous years I've either been doing something else, or just plain tired of bikes.

Every ride this goal is in the back of my mind. I think its very healthy to take time off the bike, but its also a sign of a heathly athlete and cyclist to be able to have fun riding from Febuary until October. In a great place to ride such as Tucson(especially in February) the motivation to do big epic hard rides is very tempting. This year I've tried to look at things differently.

While on a killer climb or while pushing myself, I'm questioning whether this is TOO hard. Is this ride going to burn me out? Will I be able to recover well? I'm comparing this season to a road race. During the first 15km you don't sprint as hard as you can while still having 185km to go. You have to ease yourself into it, mentally and physically. With lots of travel, and many questionsmarks up the road, it remains to be seen whether I accomplish this goal.

Cory Jay always use to tell me its better to be 80% in the game 100% of the time, as opposed to 100% in the game 30% of the time. There are April champions, and there are July champions. Usually you want to be the latter.

2 comments:

RT's BFF said...

Cory Fuckin' Jay and Words of Wisdom.........These are not things I've seen put together very often. Great quote though.
Glad to see you're doing so well.
Sorry to hear about the beer, I bet it made the pizza taste different.

Unknown said...

eff that, I got my money back and went to a pizza place down the street......got beer too...and they didnt even ID. those wacky americans -Ryan