Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cant Beat the Heat



Yesterday I started to feel back to normal. The past few rides have been kind of hit or miss. I've felt fine off the bike then once I started riding, I was reminded of the lingering illness.
I was glad to hop on yesterday and feel like my old self. I'm still not 100%, but pretty close I think.

Today's ride was the big one for the week. 6 hours in the saddle. I decided to throw in some climbing in as I ran down to the Madera Park climb, which is basically 10miles of gradual 2-5% climbing, then about 3 miles of some of the steepest monster climb ever.

Once you ride 17% grades, you never forget it. Its something that equipped with a 23 in the back I had to draw in the Single Speed legs even to get up the damn thing. The Garmin doesnt lie.


The top is satisfying for the fact that you have a downhill for about 50km, and the scenery is really nice. Even with 30degree base temps, the snow is not far from the top of the climb.

For a 6 hour ride in 30 degree heat its tough to keep the sugars up. I'm getting so sick of energy bars, so I experimented today with some real food on the ride, being tortilla wraps, peanut butter and some marmalade. I think I might have to make it a regular thing. Of course there is always the half way pit stop to fuel up on Yankee Gas Station Treats. These goodies have enough calories to do 3, 6 hour rides. And they are oh so good.


I rolled in after 180km, and 1800m of climbing in the legs. A solid day I'd say.

No comments: